Website Landcare Research
Our organisation is growing, and we are looking for a geospatial analyst with modelling skills to join the dynamic and stimulating research environment at Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research. The post will be working with scientists and informatics researchers on a range of exciting projects important to environmental issues and real-world challenges.
About the Company
Manaaki Whenua-Landcare Research (MWLR) is one of seven Crown Research Institutes in New Zealand. We undertake research that focuses on preserving New Zealand’s rich biodiversity, improving biosecurity, and protecting the health of the land, fresh water and soil resources we need for a prosperous future. We recognise the importance of partnerships, the special role of Māori, and the need to ensure that all New Zealanders have the knowledge, understanding, and tools to truly live in harmony with our precious environment. We are recognised nationally and internationally for the quality of our research and consultancy. We work with a wide range of organisations within New Zealand and globally.
Increasingly our science and consultancy is reliant on data-driven environmental science systems with data generated by ground-based and remote sensors and the need for those with the skills to bring multi-scale and heterogeneous data sources together for analysis and in modelling.
About the Opportunity
Typically, You Will Be;
Working within the Informatics team, you will be a mid-career Geospatial Analyst who has relevant applied research experience. The range of skills and experience we are seeking may not exactly match your skill set, but we have capacity to match this role to suit an individual’s strengths across our portfolio of work.
- Undertaking research and consultancy in the areas of land resources, ecosystem services, nutrient management and erosion processes across landscape scales using spatial modelling approaches
- Developing and managing tasks that involve the processing, manipulation, fusion, analysis, modelling and interpretation of environmental geospatial data
- Advising and assisting scientists and clients to develop clear understanding of analytical and data requirements
- Working with scientists, clients and Informatics staff to determine how spatial analysis solutions can be applied at relevant spatial and temporal scales using automated analyses and data workflows
- Working in cross-disciplinary and integrated collaborative groups to advance spatial modelling solutions for environmental issues important to New Zealand.
To Be Successful In This Role You Will Have;
- A postgraduate degree in GIS or spatial analysis with relevant research or industry experience
- Evidence of being able to understand end users’ analytical requirements and execute them using best practice
- Great skills in GIS with strong analytical abilities including skills in mathematics and/or statistics, and strong geospatial scripting/programming abilities
- Practiced skills in applying relevant statistical and/or geostatistical analytical and modelling techniques and good knowledge of how to use these at different scales
- Awareness of national scale and integrated modelling issues
- Significant knowledge of spatial data concepts with a strong interest in applying data science and data-driven methods to cross-domain environmental issues
- Specific domain knowledge in one or more of the following domains: ecosystem services, erosion processes, soils and nutrient management, land use, landscape analysis, climate change
- Experience or a strong interest in working in a collaborative and supportive work environment where you work in teams to get things done.
We offer the opportunity to be an integral part of a team environment with a chance to work on a variety of research questions and consultancy tasks.
As an employee of Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research, you will work with passionate and talented people in a caring and family-friendly environment, and enjoy good staff benefits.
The position is open-term (permanent) and full-time (37.5 hours per week), and is based at our Palmerston North site.
How to apply
For further details about our organisation and the relevance of our science visit our website: www.landcareresearch.co.nz
If you would like to take advantage of this great opportunity please view the position description and apply online by clicking the ‘Apply Now’ button below
The closing date for submission of applications is 22nd October 2018
To apply for this job please visit www.landcareresearch.co.nz.