Website Ministry for Primary Industries
- GIS Centre of Excellence for terrestrial and marine spatial analysis
- Join us at the forefront of the Governments renewed focus on forestry
- Two opportunities to work within our established GIS team
Undertake GIS analysis to support the delivery of the GIS Centre of Excellence business objectives across the Ministry for Primary Industries.
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is responsible for ‘Growing and Protecting New Zealand’. It’s no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. Join us to help this ambition become a reality.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here.
About our Team:
We currently have an exciting opportunity for two permanent full time GIS Analysts in our Spatial Intelligence unit. The Ministry for Primary Industries has established a GIS Centre of Excellence for terrestrial and marine spatial analysis to support decision making across the Ministry.
This is a chance to join a focussed team looking to inform decisions including land use, biosecurity responses, food safety, animal welfare issues, fisheries management and marine reserves.
About the Role:
Both roles will have a focus on supporting the One Billion Trees Programme (1BT) which is a Government scheme to encourage the planting of new trees to support a range of objectives.
One role is primarily focused on technical support in the 1BT with the successful applicant assisting in the creation of technical solutions (e.g. scripting, automation) to aid in efficient data use and analysis methodologies.
Another role is primarily focused on process support in the 1BT with the successful applicant having imagery interpretation and general GIS skills to assist in the processing of applications, and ongoing process improvements, reporting and monitoring.
Skills and Experience:
Key responsibilities for these roles include, but are not limited to:
- Complete GIS analysis by applying independent initiative, critical thinking and problem solving, and producing high quality reports, analysis and cartographics to support the Ministry;
- Manage GIS data required to support spatial analysis for the Ministry, using existing standards;
- Complete quality assurance and quality control testing of geospatial data and process;
- Build and sustain positive working relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholder groups (government and private sector).
To be successful in this role you should have the capability and ability to:
- use the ESRI suite of software, including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcSDE, and ArcGIS Server;
- use associated software tools including Python, R and FME;
- complete assigned work to time and quality expectations;
- interpret aerial photography and multi-spectral satellite imagery;
- review, record and synthesise information from numerous sources to inform decision making;
- gather, organise, and communicate information;
- identify and communicate risks, issues, and options and potential solutions;
- carry out independent thinking and decision making using prescribed frameworks and rulesets.
Benefits of working at MPI include:
- Up to three additional (MPI holidays) leave days
- Career development and internal opportunities across the Operations branch and organisation
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Reduced premiums for Health Insurance
- Comprehension one-week MPI Induction Programme
Our work stretches all the way from the Beehive to the border. If you want a career where you help to grow and protect New Zealand in a very real way then this is it.
If you want to become part of a diverse and interesting organisation that offers a wide range of career opportunities and you want to be part of helping NZ to succeed, then click on our link below!
How to Apply:
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For detailed information on this role please refer to the position description or contact Haidee.Wynands@mpi.govt.nz
Applications close Sunday 9 December