Website Ministry for Primary Industries
- Fresh water focus in the GIS Centre of Excellence for marine and terrestrial spatial analysis
- Lead projects of national significance making a real difference to New Zealand
- Work within a team of spatial specialists
Lead key GIS initiatives to deliver business objectives across a variety of sectors in the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI). Provide technical GIS leadership and mentorship to GIS colleagues.
MPI is responsible for ‘Growing and Protecting New Zealand’. It’s no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. Join us to help this ambition become a reality.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We are fair in our behaviour and our policies promote equal opportunity for all. We provide numerous training programmes and opportunities for people to continuously improve their skill sets and keep up to date with global best practices. MPI has a focus on career pathways so this is the first step in your career with us and we will help you grow.
To find out more about MPI and what we do please click here
About the team:
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior GIS Analyst in MPI’s Spatial Intelligence team, an established GIS Centre of Excellence for marine and terrestrial spatial analysis to support decision making across MPI.
This is a chance to join a focussed team using GIS to inform on decisions and develop spatial tools for a wide variety of focus areas, such as sustainable fisheries, compliance services, verification services, forestry investments, biosecurity readiness and response, food safety and agriculture as well as championing GIS initiatives across MPI.
As a key member of the Spatial Intelligence team, you will have the opportunity to lead projects of national significance making a real difference to New Zealand.
About the role:
Key responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Undertake advanced GIS analysis by applying a high degree of independent initiative, critical thinking and problem solving and producing high quality reports, analysis and cartographic outputs highlighting trends and associated GIS aspects,
- Developing and supporting new and existing spatial applications and tools,
- Become a subject matter expert in MPI’s freshwater related geospatial data and analysis needs to lead the development of related applications and strengthen working relationships with key interest groups,
- Mentor GIS analysts and provide technical and intellectual leadership in GIS matters to support the GIS team leader,
- Lead the development and analysis of spatially related projects for the benefit of MPI,
- Provide statistical, scripting, and transformation processing to best meet MPI’s information needs using appropriate tools and technologies,
- Provide training and support in relevant GIS disciplines, and related technologies,
- Work as an important part of the engagement model to assist business customers to understand GIS services and explore opportunities or develop spatial business requirements to improve service to our customers,
- Become competent in the geospatial aspect of MPI’s initiatives, legislative requirements and business as usual activities to provide advice,
- Building and sustaining positive working relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholder groups (government agencies and private sector).
To be successful in this role you should have:
- Advanced skill in use of the ESRI suite including ArcGIS Pro, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, etc.,
- Proven experience in the development and administration of GIS Webapps on Portal and AGOL,
- Advanced analytical skills demonstrated by reviewing, recording and synthesising information from numerous sources to inform decision making
- A passion for continuous improvement
- Demonstrated experience in supporting and developing practical GIS applications,
- The ability to use associated software tools including Python, R, SQL, or FME,
- The ability to develop business requirements with a technical and customer focus,
- The ability to interpret legislations and regulations to manage and analyse spatial data,
- The ability to gather, organise, and communicate information including risks, issues and potential solutions,
- The ability to carry out independent thinking and sound decision making using prescribed frameworks and rulesets,
- A positive, can-do aptitude when reaching out to existing and potential customers of the team.
If you are interested in becoming part of a diverse and interesting organisation that offers a wide range of career opportunities and you want to be part of helping NZ to succeed, then click on our link below!
How to Apply:
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY NOW” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For detailed information on this role please refer to the position description or contact Haidee.Wynands@mpi.govt.nz