- Extend your geospatial career and make a positive impact to the lives of New Zealanders
- Two year fixed term role based in Wellington CBD
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Advisor / Geospatial Analyst to join our National Operations Team. This is your chance to be part of a team that is hugely influential and passionate when it comes to building New Zealand’s disaster risk management and resilience.
About the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (MCDEM)
MCDEM is a business unit of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. It provides leadership in reducing risk, being ready for, responding to and recovering from emergencies.
About our Team
The National Operations Team is responsible for the management of the National Crisis Management Centre and its systems, processes and equipment, maintaining and enhancing warning systems and public messaging, and the provision of systems and capability to enable informed decision making, including information management and geospatial systems.
You’ll be working alongside members of the Operations Team as well as the welfare services team members from the MCDEM National Planning team. The National Planning team is responsible for the strategic planning and development of integrated welfare services arrangements in support of individuals, families and whanau, and communities in being ready for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
As a Senior Advisor / Geospatial Analyst, you will:
- roll out a new ESRI ArcGIS-based welfare registration and needs assessment solution to Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups and partner agencies across the country
- create supporting documentation and provide training
- provide system administration and helpdesk support
- support and maintain spatial data and infrastructure, including ArcGIS Portal/Server and SAFE FME
- develop and use geospatial systems to turn complex data into more practical formats, like maps, infographics and web applications to support decision making
- capture, source and maintain baseline and operational data e.g. surveys, damage assessments
- embed the analytical capability of geospatial into our everyday operations
- build and maintain effective relationships with our CDEM stakeholders and central government agencies at both senior and operational levels.
You are collaborative, driven, and possess good attention to detail. You’ll have experience working with technical and non-technical people in implementing innovative solutions.
In order to succeed in this role you will have a combination of:
- A relevant tertiary qualification in Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Spatial Science, IT or equivalent
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, which enable you to seek out opportunities for spatial thinking across the wider emergency management sector and maintain effective internal and external agency relationships
- Ability to share your ideas with peers and work effectively as part of a team
- Minimum of three years’ applied experience using Enterprise ArcGIS (ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro etc) and SAFE FME
- Experience with databases and some programming e.g. Python and HTML
- Experience in maintaining metadata and writing technical documentation.
How to Apply
Please apply online with your CV and cover letter. Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience and capability relates to the competencies listed in the position description.
Applications close at 5pm on 10 November 2019.
The indicative remuneration range for the Senior Advisor role is $94,716 to $128,146
To apply for this job email your details to Kevin.Fenaughty@dpmc.govt.nz.