Website Ministry of Primary Industries
Te Uru Rakau
Senior GIS Analyst
• GIS Centre of Excellence for terrestrial and marine spatial analysis
• Lead projects of national significance making a real difference to New Zealand
• Work within a team of specialists
Lead key GIS initiatives to deliver business objectives. Provide GIS intellectual leadership and acumen!
About the Role│Kōrero mō te tūranga
In joining our focussed Spatial Intelligence team you will work with our internal customers across the business and provide geospatial imagery and data analysis to inform on a range of business delivery decisions. You will develop spatial tools involving sustainable land use, forestry investments, biosecurity readiness and response, food safety and agriculture as well as championing GIS initiatives across the Ministry.
As a key member of the Spatial Intelligence team, you will have the opportunity to lead projects of national significance making a real difference to New Zealand.
Core responsibilities for the role:
· Provide advice on geospatial data analysis and interpretation of geospatial imagery.
· Coach and mentor colleagues through technical and non-technical situations.
· Contribute towards quality assurance and continuous improvement of spatial processes.
· Develop, manage and source spatial datasets.
· Develop spatial business requirements.
· Build and sustain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Working with stakeholders across the business and providing technical analysis and advice requires a unique set of skills. Bring your communication skills and analytical thinking to help solve problems and add value to our service delivery.
To be successful in this role you will offer:
· Advanced skill in use of the ESRI suite including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server.
· Demonstrated advanced analytical skills in reviewing, recording and synthesising information from numerous sources to inform decision making.
· The ability to use associated software tools including Python, R, SQL, or FME.
· Demonstrated experience in supporting and developing practical GIS applications.
· Demonstrated ability to respond to business requirements with a technical and customer focus
· The ability to interpret legislations and regulations to manage and analyse spatial data;
· The ability to interpret aerial photography and multi-spectral satellite imagery;
· The ability to gather, organise, and communicate information including risks, issues and potential solutions;
· The ability to carry out independent thinking and decision making using prescribed frameworks and rulesets.
About MPI│Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has a strength of common purpose and a passion to sustainably grow and to protect Aotearoa, for the benefit of all New Zealanders. We are a team of experts with massive breadth of experience, offering opportunities to break out of our comfort zone and embrace intellectual and complex challenges.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
Benefits of working at MPI│Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua
· Refurbished offices close to Railway Station
· Up to three additional (MPI holidays) leave days
· Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
· Comprehensive one-week MPI Induction Programme
· Parental leave ex-gratia payment
· Bi-annual MPI-paid eye test and contribution to the costs of corrective lenses/frames
· Flexible working
Salary range for this role is $75,000 to $90,000 depending on skills and experience.
See the benefits of working at MPI
To join a diverse and interesting organisation that offers a wide range of career opportunities click on our link below!
How to Apply│Me pēhea te tuku tono
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
For detailed information on this role please refer to the position description or contact
Jane Ransfield, Senior Recruitment Advisor, Kaitohutohu Rapu Kaimahi Matua, email@example.com
Applications close: 10th February 2020