Website Ministry of Primary Industries
- GIS Centre of Excellence for terrestrial and marine spatial analysis
- Lead projects of national significance making a real difference to New Zealand
- Work within a team of specialists
Lead key GIS initiatives to deliver business objectives by providing integral and high quality analysis and business solutions across the Ministry. Provide GIS intellectual leadership by mentoring junior team members and servicing project teams with GIS acumen.
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is responsible for ‘Growing and Protecting New Zealand’. It’s no mean feat and we have a team of hard working and dedicated people in a variety of roles supporting us to make this happen. Our overall ambition is for New Zealand to be the most trusted source of high value natural products in the world. Join us to help this ambition become a reality.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture. We are fair in our behaviour and our policies promote equal opportunity for all. We provide numerous training programmes and opportunities for people to continuously improve their skill sets and keep up to date with global best practices. MPI has a focus on career pathways so this is the first step in your career with us and we will help you grow.
About the role
Key responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and supporting new and existing spatial applications and tools;
- Undertaking spatial analysis by applying independent initiative, critical thinking and problem solving
- Producing high quality analysis and cartographic outputs;
- Contributing towards quality assurance and continuous improvement of spatial processes through reviews, streamlining, and automation;
- Developing, managing and sourcing spatial datasets;
- Coaching and mentoring colleagues through technical and non-technical situations;
- Utilising competency in the spatial aspects of Ministry initiatives, legislative requirements, and business-as-usual activities to provide advice;
- Developing spatial business requirements;
- Building and sustaining positive working relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholder groups (government and private sector);
To be successful in this role you should have:
- Advanced skill in use of the ESRI suite including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, etc.;
- Advanced analytical skills demonstrated by reviewing, recording and synthesising information from numerous sources to inform decision making;
- Demonstrated experience in supporting and developing practical GIS applications;
- The ability to use associated software tools including Python, R, SQL, or FME;
- The ability to develop business requirements with a technical and customer focus;
- The ability to interpret legislations and regulations to manage and analyse spatial data;
- The ability to interpret aerial photography and multi-spectral satellite imagery;
- The ability to gather, organise, and communicate information including risks, issues and potential solutions;
- The ability to carry out independent thinking and decision making using prescribed frameworks and rulesets.
Our work stretches all the way from the Beehive to the border. If you want a career where you help to grow and protect New Zealand in a very real way then this is it.
If you want to become part of a diverse and interesting organisation that offers a wide range of career opportunities and you want to be part of helping NZ to succeed, then please apply!
To apply for this job please visit careers.mpi.govt.nz.