Website Ministry of Social Development
- Extend your GIS career and make this role your own
- Positively impact the lives of New Zealanders
- Permanent role based in Wellington CBD
This is your unique opportunity to push the boundaries of GIS in the social sector as you work to improve the lives of New Zealanders.
About the Ministry of Social Development (MSD)
MSD is one of the lead agencies for the social sector. Our Ministry is all about helping to build successful individuals, and in turn building strong, healthy families and communities. Our vision is to help New Zealanders to be safe, strong and independent. We’re always looking out for talented, energetic, creative and dedicated people who want to make a difference.
About Our Team
Client and Business Intelligence (CBI) is MSD’s Data Science unit, part of a broader Insights group which includes data management, reporting, research and evaluation. We are a team of Data Scientists, Data Engineers and GIS Analysts working on projects which make a difference for areas such as social housing and employment. CBI’s goal is to guide and improve MSD’s business decisions and operations, and spatial analysis plays a key part in this.
You’ll be working alongside a Senior GIS Analyst to:
- create and maintain web applications and static maps to support the ministry with its strategic priorities
- support maintain spatial data and infrastructure, including ArcGIS Portal/Server
- embed the analytical capability of GIS into the ministry’s everyday operations
You are inquisitive, proactive and driven to deliver new ideas. You’ll have experience identifying clever solutions to difficult problems and implementing them to make things better.
In order to succeed in this role you will have a combination of:
- A relevant tertiary qualification in Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Spatial Science or equivalent
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, which enable you to seek out opportunities for spatial thinking across the ministry
- Ability to share your ideas with peers and work effectively as part of a team
- A willingness to explore and push the boundaries of GIS capability in the social sector